Sunday, April 18, 2010

Time to Blast Away A Few Pounds

Since I began my Garden of Eden adventure in January of 2010, I have lost 40 pounds, but during the month of April, my weight has stabilized. I am not at my ideal weight yet (I want to lose 40 more pounds, and I am leaving on a 3 week repositioning cruise to Portugal, Spain, France, Brussels and London in 7 days.)

What to do?
The answer is clear to me. I am going to do 7 days of a blitz using the McDougall Plan's Mary's Mini program.

The description of the plan is found at this link: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

The link gives you the general idea of the plan.

It is great for a healthy way to lose pounds quickly.

If you want to join me using this plan, or any healthy plan of your choice, email me your progress, challenges, menu, ideas, encouragement, or thoughts and I will post them to this blog.

You can use: NatureRabbi@gmail.com, or write your post as a comment and I will move it to the blog page.

Today (pre-blitz) I had a wonderful dish of grilled veggies at a farewell (since I have concluded my work at the JCV) brunch held in my honor at the Venice Country Club -- I am blessed and grateful for the friends who joined me this morning.

I celebrated when I got home by a quick trip to Steinmart for some smaller, kicky clothes for the trip, and then went to Publix to get ready for my Mary's Mini Weight Loss Blitz --

Potatoes are my choice for the starch. The I got things like asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli and broccoli slaw for supplements. I still have some yummy mashed sweet potatoes and parsnips.

I did forget to buy the prepared refrigerated hash browns, so I am going to toss the baby potatoes (about the size of key limes) in to boil tonight and slice them up for hash browns for tomorrow's breakfast.

Upon coming home tonight -
I had my fav: veggie burger (this breaks a rule for my Garden of Eden Vegan: "eat no processed foods" - but sometimes rules need to be broken, so sayeth this old hippie)
with an Arnold's slim grain bun, bread and butter pickles, horseradish mustard, and lots of leafy lettuce. I enjoy this meal, about 270 calories. But as my taste-buds were changing, I stopped it for a month due to the processing --- tonight, it tasted yummy.

AND, since I was breaking rules tonight, I treated myself (I guess this was Treat and Celebrate Ann Day --- I suggest you host an occasional Treat and Celebrate yourself day soon) --- I had a glass of one of my favorite cava's: Cordonu.

Now --- at 6:05 p.m. the evening before the blitz -- I declare my eating day over -- I am having a decaf espresso, then I will switch to lemon water.

The rain has slowed to a slight drizzle or maybe even stopped -- I am going to walk the "littles" (Maddie Sue and Lex) to the beach.....just because.

Tomorrow -- I will post my Blitz Menu. If you are doing a blitz too, let me know yours. If you want to follow mine -- start your blitz one day after me and use my menu.

Goal: Our best bodies ever -- Health first! Energy and Vibrancy -- and what the heck, let's just look and be damn good! Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Story Behind the Garden of Eden Vegan Blog

For those of you who knew me prior to December 30, 2009, I was a veteran of the fast food culinary institute. My son, when he lived with me would ask if I had ordered the "Shabbat pizza" yet as the sun was setting Friday nights.



My idea of a good meal was a McFish sandwich, fries with extra salt, and a medium diet coke.



Everything was better covered in a rich creamy sauce and the idea of a naked baked potato was as foreign to me as walking naked in Manhattan.



In June of 2009 I decided to formally become a vegetarian. Although I had dabbled with this, it was not until I read Skinny Bitch that the gauntlet was thrown.



Now being a vegetarian does not sign you up for good health. I was proof of that. Chubby when I started, I indulged in pizza, french fries, cheese, cheese, butter, cheese, pizza......and became very over weight, tipping the Toledos at 200 pounds at 5'4". And taking an assortment of meds for cholesterol and GERD and who knows what else.



As the decade was waning, and with my 60th birthday approaching in the year 2010, there was a perfect storm that snapped my beak and got me in gear. The same friend who gave me Skinny Bitch, turned me on to the John McDougall website. At the same time, there was a Grand Round lecture at the hospital where I work on the book Eat to Live, and at the same time, I was tired of how I looked and felt and needed to make a change.



I regret that I did not start this blog when I changed my lifestyle, but it is better late than never.



My weight is down about 35 pounds, my size has gone from a tight 16 to a loose 12. And I am on no meds, although my vegetarian doctor and I will review my blood work within this month to see if I need anything (like b12) boosted.



I began as a Vegan Minus. Or what I call a Garden of Eden Vegan.



As you know, a Vegan eats no animals nor animal products - none. But then I subtracted oil, sugar, and processed foods.

That is a big subtraction -- but it is this subtraction that helped with weight loss, lack of cravings, increased energy, health, and vibrancy.



Now I am dabbling in raw foods and have signed up to learn with Russell James (google him).



I like the taste and health aspect of raw foods, but worry about the increased calories. So I will (hopefully) use the raw creations as a supplement to my Gan (Hebrew for Garden -- I am in a Hebrew mood today) Eden Vegan lifestyle.



My doctor said that I should write a book about this since most of her patients need it. I said, "Who, or how many, would want to do this?" We shall see. It has been easy (no cravings) and exciting as life and energy unfold before me, just as it was meant to be. (It didn't unfold over a fried fish sandwich, extra tarter sauce.)



Join me or not. Walk with me the whole journey, day trips, part of it, or not. This is my 60th year -- buckle up life, here I come.